Dreamweaver and SVN/Subversion bugginess

I am starting a new project and seeing I finally have enough horsepower to run multiple VM’s I started with a LAMP VM from turnkeylinux.org. After some initial playing around and tweaking I was ready to make it my test bed. This distro is real nice because it has some nice tools that make management a breeze.

So I get everything installed and running, vsftp, subversion, mysql and the website, and try and connect Dreamweaver to the repository on the virtual machine and keep getting an error something like

svnserve.conf:13: Option Expected

It was driving me crazy! So after playing with the conf file I finally figured out the it was a space the was before the option lines in the svnserve.conf file that was causing Dreamweaver to puke.

Bad code

[general]
### These options control access to the repository for unauthenticated
### and authenticated users.  Valid values are "write", "read",### and "none".  The sample settings below are the defaults.
# anon-access = write
 auth-access = write
### The password-db option controls the location of the password
### database file.  Unless you specify a path starting with a /,
### the file's location is relative to the conf directory.
### Uncomment the line below to use the default password file.
 password-db = passwd

Good Code

[general]
### These options control access to the repository for unauthenticated
### and authenticated users.  Valid values are "write", "read",
### and "none".  The sample settings below are the defaults.
# anon-access = write
auth-access = write
### The password-db option controls the location of the password
### database file.  Unless you specify a path starting with a /,
### the file's location is relative to the conf directory.
### Uncomment the line below to use the default password file.
password-db = passwd

Finally! I was almost ready to boot over to my linux side and do it from there, but I would have been distracted by playing with it seeing I still need to finish setting it up and configuring it.

So I guess it boils down to the folks writing the Subversion part of Dreamweaver over at Adobe didn’t think to parse for leading spaces, or probably trailing spaces too. Oh the joy!

Leave a Reply